It is important to keep a proper balance between the exercises for upper and lower chest, as they together benefit the torso and keep your upper body in perfect shape. This article enlists exercises which are extremely beneficial for the lower chest.
Apart from muscular biceps and triceps, having a strong and well-built chest is equally important for an attractive personality. All men wish to have a good physique, with a chiseled body in perfect shape. Exercising on a regular basis is the key to that, but it is also necessary that each section of the body is focused upon, and gets the proper workout.
Some Useful Exercises
The chest muscle is divided into two sections. While the upper part known as pectoralis major muscle, the lower part known as the pectoralis minor muscle. Mostly, men concentrate on the upper chest exercises, thereby ignoring the exercises that target the lower chest muscles. Here are some exercises that you can include in your workout routine.
Decline Bench Press
This exercise mainly aims at strengthening the lower muscles of the chest. It also provides a proper workout to the chest and the anterior shoulder.
- Lie down on the decline bench with your head tilted down and feet secured under the roller pads.
- Hold the barbell with a proper grip having equal distance for both hands.
- Slowly lower the barbell to your lower chest and then push it back again. Perform 12 reps. slowly.
Push ups are one of the most popular exercise for arms and chest that build muscle without the use of any weights.
- Lie face down with toes resting flat on the floor, and hands shoulder-width apart.
- Lift your body upwards with the help of your arms and core muscles.
- Remember to keep your back straight while performing this exercise.
- If you want a more strenuous workout, cross one ankle over the other and complete this exercise taking support of only one foot at a time.
This is another exercise that involves the use of a barbell.
Decline Push Up
- Rest your shoulders on the bench, keep your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor.
- Hold the barbell above you, with both your hands having a slight bent in your elbows.
- Begin this exercise by lowering the bar behind your head and towards the floor.
- Hold this for a second and come back to the original position. Perform 10 reps. in one set.
Performing decline push ups will certainly work your lower chest muscles.
- To perform this exercise, get into the push up position and place your feet on an exercise bench.
- Pull your stomach in, straighten your back, while keeping your core stable.
- While keeping your body in a straight line, bend your elbows to minimize the distance between the chest and floor, and immediately push back and extend your arms.
- Perform this exercise slowly, with 15 reps. in one set.
People who do not prefer these weightlifting exercises, can opt for swimming. This is one of the best cardio exercises that works on both the upper, as well as the lower chest muscles, when followed on a regular basis. Freestyle and butterfly stroke are considered as the best. Practicing these strokes gives one the required workout for the chest muscles to get toned. The aforementioned exercises when done regularly might prove beneficial and ensure great looking and strong chest. However, it's also recommended that you consult your gym trainer for a proper workout plan before you start exercising.