Dumbbell lunges should be included in a workout program, as these can strengthen and tone the hamstrings, glutes, and calf muscles. The following Buzzle write-up provides information on these exercises.
Dumbbell lunges are one of the most effective exercises for your lower body and the range of motion involved in this exercise is such that it will improve your stability and movement. Like any other exercise, make sure that you pay special attention to the form and technique, and follow the right breathing technique. If done correctly, these will surely strengthen your hamstrings and glute muscles.
Lunges with Dumbbells
Here are the instructions for this exercise:
Dumbbell Lunges with Crossover
- For the starting position, stand straight with your legs hip-width apart and arms fully extended to your sides. Hold a dumbbell in each hand.
- Lift your right leg and take a step forward by 1 or 2 feet without moving your left leg.
- Lower your upper body by bending your knees.
- Ensure that your right knee doesn't go ahead of your right toe line, and keep your torso straight when you go down.
- Once you are down, dig your right heel in to the ground and push yourself up and back to the starting position.
- Inhale as you go down, and exhale as you come back to the starting position. Repeat the movement with your left leg.
For this exercise, the technique is slightly different. Here's what you need to do:
- For the starting position, stand straight with dumbbells in both hands, and elbows bent at a 90 degree angle. Keep your feet hip-width apart.
- Lift your right leg and take a step forward by 1 to 2 feet, while keeping your left leg stationary.
- Slowly go down by bending your knees. Make sure that your right knee doesn't go ahead of the right toe line.
- When you are going down, twist your torso to the left side and down while maintaining the 90 degree bend in your elbows.
- When coming up, dig your right heel in to the ground and push your body up. Twist your torso and come back to the starting position.
- Inhale as you twist your torso and go down, and exhale when you are coming back up. To complete this exercise, repeat the movement with your left leg.
This exercise will not only tone your lower body, but will also improve your stability and posture. The quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, and calves are some of the muscles worked by this exercise. Here are a few benefits of doing this routine:
- As one side of the body is targeted at a time, it will help develop individual muscles in your lower body.
- The exercise will improve your strength and endurance levels, as the range of motion is compound.
- As you have dumbbells in each hand and the abdominal muscles are brought into play during the movement, you will increase your core strength.
- The movements involved in the exercise will also allow you to develop greater flexibility and increase your stamina.
- It will give your lower body a symmetrical appearance, as each leg is worked individually.
- By performing this exercise, you will gain strength to perform other lower body workouts such as squats and deadlifts.
Just remember, before you start with lunges, do a 5 to 7 minute warm-up routine. It would be best to perform the routine under the supervision of a fitness expert.