The abdomen is a very important part of which muscle strength is used extensively, just like our shoulders or thighs. In our everyday lives, we forget to pay enough emphasis on our body and keep continuing our routines without even paying the slightest attention to our food intake. Eventually, we develop a pot belly over time and then want to get rid of it.
The American Council of Exercise has studied the features of various ab workouts. These ab exercises were found to be very beneficial for the ab muscles and strengthening them over a period of time.
Effective Exercise Techniques
The most prominent amongst these exercises is the 'bicycle exercise. It is useful for the abdominal muscles and the waist. The procedure is as follows:
Long Arm Crunch
- Lie down on the floor mat with the entire body touching it and the face towards the ceiling
- Cross the fingers behind the head and outstretch the elbows perpendicular to the body
- Pull the knees towards the chest
- Lift the shoulder blades with no stress on the neck
- Straighten the left leg such that it makes a forty-five degrees angle with the floor
- Turn the upper body wherein the left elbow touches the right knee
- Now move the left leg towards the chest and straighten the right leg at an angle of forty-five degrees with the floor
- Turn the upper body so that the right elbow touches the left knee
- Continue this process so that the movement of the legs appears like riding a bicycle
This abdominal workout utilizes the upper part of the ab. The procedure is quite simple as follows:
- Lie down on the floor mat with face towards the ceiling
- Pull legs upwards, so that the feet are flat on the ground
- The distance between the feet must be equal to shoulder width
- The arms must be next to the ears and hands straight above the head and parallel to the floor
- Lift the shoulder blades from the floor mat and then lower them again
- During the entire exercise,the lower back must touch the floor
At least, 12 to 16 repetitions have to be done.
- Lie down on the floor mat and the face towards the ceiling
- Place the hands parallel to the floor, either adjacent to the body or above the head
- Lift the legs together so that they are perpendicular to the floor
- Contract the abs to lift the hips from the floor
- To lift the hips, the legs should not be swung to create momentum. Rather, apply the abs
This exercise is useful for the muscles of the six-pack and the waist. This chair can be found in many gyms and health clubs.
- Sit on the chair, grip the handhold's
- Press the back against the pad
- Raise the legs, move the knees in the direction of the chest, contract the abs
- Do not bend the back and breathe moderately
- Lower the legs and perform 12 to 16 repetitions
This ab workout aims at the six-pack muscles.
- Sit on the ab rocker, grip the bars in both hands
- Contract the abs and move the body forward
- Release the rocker and repeat this process.1 to 3 sets of 12 to 16 repetitions are to be done for an effective workout
Care must be taken that the arms are not used to push the ab rocker. Rather , utilize the abs.
It is worth remembering that these exercises do not burn the fat accumulated over the abs, nor do they cause the six-pack to be seen. However, these exercises do build the ab muscles and enhance body metabolism.